Google loves words
In other words (no pun intended) posts written with at least 300 words are more likely to rank in search engines. Very lengthy posts — with 1000+ words — do even better.
Why lengthy posts increase SEO ranking
When a post is written with 1000+ words, there is more opportunity to incorporate your keyword. A lengthy post is usually accompanied by images and links, both which add to ranking success.
Write well and organize your thoughts
Your posts should be well written, have good grammar and no misspellings. The posts should be very readable and organized with headings and subheadings. Note: I have use Heading 2 and Heading 3 from the Paragraph drop down menu to format this post.
Blogpost writing tips
Writing 300 word post is harder than it sounds if you are not a professional writer. Here are a few ideas to help you:
- Determine what is the objective of your post.
- What message do you want to share.
- Write as an authority and write content that is relevant to your audience.
- What is the main keyword(s). As you write you will see that these keywords fall easily into your text.
- Write an introduction about the topic. Include your main points.
- In the body write about 3 ideas that support your main point. Each idea should have its own paragraph.
- Add images. Don’t forget to give them Alt descriptions.
- Include links, both internal and external. Very good for SEO.
- Write your conclusion. It should be a separate paragraph that ties together your objective and supporting points.
- Don’t forget to proofread and look for spelling, grammatical errors, and punctuation. Be sure that your text feels and sounds natural.
I would love to hear tips from any writers out there on best practices for SEO ranking.
Yoast, who I consider the grandaddy of WordPress SEO and who is the author of Yoast SEO plugin, has a very good article explaining why you should have lengthy blogposts. You can read the article here.
Phew! 328 words!